Punjab Judicial Academy organized its first international Conference on Judicial Education.
Lahore Roundtable on Judicial Education: Future of Judicial Academies
May, 13-14, 2017.
The themes of the conference were:
- Curriculum Development & Review: Judges and Court Staff
- Information Technology and Distance Learning
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Faculty Development and Linkages
- Research & Publications
- Administration of Judicial Education Institutions
Hon’ble Mr. Justice Shujaat Ali Khan, Judge Lahore High Court, / Member Board of Management /Admin Judge Punjab Judicial Academy inaugurated the conference along with Ms. Mahrukh Aziz, Director General, Punjab Judicial Academy.
Besides National Judicial Academies, delegates from judicial education institutes of Turkey, Greece, South Africa, Nepal and Ireland participated in the Conference. Two members of International Association of Women Judges also attended the Roundtable. A presentation was made by Global Judicial Integrity Network of UNODC. A Skype conversation with Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute was also part of the event.
The following participated in the Conference:
- Hon. Justice Ann Walsh Bradley Wisconsin Supreme Court, (USA), Member, International Association of Women Judges (IAWJ) & Hon. Judge Sue Williscroft (UK) Member, International Association of Women Judges (IAWJ)
- Hon. Mr. Justice Binod Prasad Sharma, Judge High Court / Faculty Member & Mr. Man Bahadur Karki, Registrar from National Judicial Academy Nepal
- Hon. Judge William Hamill (Ireland)
- Hon. Judge Christodoulos Kyrtsidis, Judge at the Court of Appeals of Thessaloniki
- Dr. Gomolemo Moshoeu from South African Judicial Education Institute
- Hon. Judge Dicle Gözde KOÇYİĞİT Judge Justice Academy & Ayben Iyisoy Public Prosecutor, from Turkey
Mr. Fakhar Hayat Director General, Federal Judicial Academy, Mr. Muhammad Shahid Shafiq, Senior Faculty Member / D&SJ, Sindh Judicial Academy, Mr. Suhail Sheraz Noor Saani Director KP Judicial Academy and Mr. Zia-Ur-Rehman Director KP Judicial Academy also participated from national academies of Pakistan.
Ms. Jouhida Hanano from UNODC presented the Global Judicial Integrity Framework. Hon’ble Judge Sandra Oxner spoke through Skype, from Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute Canada. Mr John Lipton, Team Leader, European Union Punjab Access to Justice Project participated in the discussion. Mr Roger Coventry from British High Commission and other observers were also present.
The Director General and faculty members of the Academy conducted and organized the conference.